We are now open for most regular services. We are so happy to welcome you back. Please note the following guidelines and updates when planning your visit:
- Face coverings are required for those over age 2 who have not been fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If you are not fully vaccinated for COVID-19, please wear a face covering inside our building and maintain 6 feet of distance from others outside of your household. If you are fully vaccinated, face coverings are optional.
- If you are unable to wear a face mask, we will gladly provide accommodations through curbside service.
- Curbside service is still available.
- We will begin accepting applications for the community meeting room beginning June 21. Those who are unvaccinated for COVID-19 should wear a mask and maintain distance from others while using the meeting room.
- If you feel sick, please do not come into the building! Use curbside service or visit us another day.
- Book donations are welcome – however, please limit your donation to 2 bags or boxes.
We are also offering these services to help you stay connected during the pandemic:
- Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot lending.
- Public Wi-Fi network access from the parking lot. The password is posted on the front door.
- A listing of upcoming virtual events and programs can be found on our event calendar.
- See our Research & Learn page for a variety of online classes and learning tools.
- Go to Read & Listen to learn how to access free e-books, audiobooks, and magazines with your library card.
Our current operating hours are:
Monday – Thursday
10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
1:00 to 6:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Look for our evening hours to return in July.
Submit a photo of your pet “reading a book” by e-mail to email@example.com. Library visitors and social media followers will vote on a pet to become our *official* Tails & Tales Summer Learning Program mascot.
To vote for your favorite pet photo, follow us on Facebook or on Instagram or visit the Library during the week of July 7, 2021.
Need some reading material but can’t make it to the library right away? Look for the new Little Library Boxes at these locations:
- Watts & Sons Supermarket in Millers Tavern
- Rayz Way Express in Champlain
- Valero in Center Cross
Dashawn Nelson, an Eagle Scout from Tappahannock’s Troop 304, recently installed these Little Library Boxes to provide free books to local families. He also collected book donations. Now Essex Public Library will maintain the boxes and keep them full of great books.
Students from St. Margaret’s School built and painted three of the boxes during their Day of Service. They also hosted a children’s book drive.
We are grateful to the young people who made this project possible as well as the business owners who allowed the boxes to be installed on their property. Be sure to visit the Little Library Boxes when you are out and about in Essex County. You might find your next great read inside one of them!
If you would like to donate books to this project, contact us at (804) 443-4945. Books should be in good condition and newer titles are appreciated.
April 4 – 10 is National Library Week, a time to celebrate our nation’s libraries and promote library use and support. Help us celebrate–tell us what you love about your public library. Your comments will be collected and shared with policymakers in Essex County and across the region. Thank you for your support!
We are happy to announce that Essex Public Library is re-opening to the public for express services on Monday, April 5, 2021.
- Express services include browsing for materials, checkout, computer use, printing, copying, and faxing. No appointments are needed.
- Building capacity is limited and patrons are asked to limit their time in the building to 1 hour. There will be limited seating available.
- Face coverings are required for everyone over age 2. If you are unable to wear a face mask, we will gladly provide accommodations through curbside service.
- Curbside service will continue.
- Return items to the outdoor book drop or designated bins indoors.
- All returned items will be quarantined for 24 hours.
- Overdue fees will not be charged at this time.
- The community meeting room is CLOSED to the public.
- If you feel sick or have any respiratory symptoms, please do not come into the building! Use curbside service or visit us another day.
- Donations are welcome – however, please limit your donation to 2 bags or boxes.