Our COVID-19 Response
Curbside Pickup Only, with Computer Use by Appointment
Starting Monday, December 14
Due to the rapid increase in Covid-19 cases, Essex Public Library will be offering curbside pickup only starting Monday, December 14. The library building will be closed to traffic except for computer use by appointment.
To use curbside pickup for books and DVDs:
- Place holds on materials by logging into your online account. You can also place holds over the phone by calling us at (804) 443-4945. If you don’t have specific titles in mind to request, we recommend a Book Bundle. Order a Book Bundle using this easy online form.
- When your requests are ready for pickup, you will receive an e-mail or a phone call. We’ll hold your items for 7 days.
- When you arrive to pick up your materials, call us at (804) 443-4945. We will check the items out on your account bring them out to the parking lot for contactless service.
To use curbside pickup for printing:
- Print from home from any device using these mobile printing instructions.
- Call us from the parking lot when you arrive to pick up your prints.
- Put your payment in the box and retrieve your print the table in front of the library.
To use curbside copying and faxing:
- Fill out the faxing/copying form available on the table outside of the library.
- Put your documents in a provided envelope, along with your payment, and call us to let us know you need a copying/fax job completed.
- Leave your document on the table and we will retrieve it, then return your copies/fax to the table when they are done.
To make an appointment for computer use:
- Call (804) 443-4945 to make an appointment to use a computer.
- Computer use sessions are made in 25- or 55-minute increments.
- Face coverings are required during your computer use appointment must cover your nose and mouth during your entire visit. If you are unable to wear a face covering, we can arrange curbside accommodations for you.
- Because of social distancing guidelines, our staff is unable to provide assistance at the computer at this time.
To return borrowed materials:
Please use the outdoor book drop to return materials. Returned materials will be quarantined for 72 hours, and there will be a delay before items are removed from your account. We are currently not charging late fees for materials.
We are also offering these services to help you stay connected during this difficult time:
- Mobile Wi-Fi hotspot lending.
- Public Wi-Fi network access from the parking lot. The password is posted on the front door.
- A listing of upcoming virtual events and programs can be found on our event calendar.
- See our Research & Learn page for a variety of online classes and learning tools.
- Go to Read & Listen to learn how to access free e-books, audiobooks, and magazines with your library card.
Our current operating hours are:
Monday – Thursday
10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
1:00 to 6:00 p.m.
10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.